We exist in an environment that is filled with the artefacts of human history: architecture, painting and sculpture. History of Art aims to arrive at an historical understanding of the origins of these artefacts; asking about the circumstances of their making, their functions and their public reception. By investigating the meanings behind these cultural products, shaped and reshaped over time, we better understand ourselves and each other.History of Art is a unique humanities subject which combines elements of Art, History, English, Classics and Sociology. Those who study History of Art at A Level develop a curiosity in the world around them and gain useful analytical skills for life beyond sixth form.
A Level Course Structure:
- Section A Visual analysis is designed to help you learn the tools of visual analysis. We will look at the art of the Western World, from Classical Greece to the present day (500 BCE – AD2017).
- Section B consists of two themes: Identities in Art and War in Art. We look at how artists have explored issues such as gender, ethnicity, commemoration and revolution.
- Section C consists of two periods: Rebellion and revival: The Avant-Garde in Britain and France (1848–1899) and Brave new world: Modernism in Europe (1900–1939). We study the ways in which artists have responded to these significant historical periods.
- Weekly drop-in sessions for 1 2 1 support
- Trips to art galleries and conferences
- A residential trip abroad
- You don’t need to be an artist! However Art History can help inform your own creative practise and goes well with Creative Arts subjects.
- Essay writing skills. History of Art complements any humanities or essay-based subject.
Where can it take you?
- Art History is a well-regarded subject choice amongst art schools and universities. It can lead to a job in art galleries and museums, journalism, teaching, television and advertising, marketing, events management, publishing and higher education.
We currently study the following specification: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/history-of-art-2017.html
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org